The San Antonio Express-News featured an article yesterday titled Study: S.A. tourism had $13.6 billion impact in ’15. In the article, EN writer Joshua Fechter discusses the economic impact of the hospitality industry in San Antonio and the city’s transition from a city-run Convention and Visitors Bureau to a public-private nonprofit called Visit San Antonio. The goal is to keep San Antonio competitive in the face of increased pressure from other regional markets like Austin, Dallas and Houston.
A few takeaways from the article:
- 34.4 million visitors to San Antonio in 2015, 20.9 staying overnight.
- $195 Million paid in taxes and fees.
- $375 Million paid to all local governments combined.
- 130,760 people are employed in this sector, 1 in every 8 SA workers!
- 50% increased economic impact since 2005.
- 412% increased economic impact since 1990.
Head to the San Antonio Express-News site to read the full article (subscription required).